The Edge Of Reason

You Can Never Tell Which Way The Train Went By Looking At The Rails





Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Priya and I became very good friends. We go to Mumbai together every weekend. I always look to her whenever I need any advice, whenever I need any help and she is always there for me. She is my Crisis Lady. If there is a problem that am sure I can never get out off, I call on Priya and she somehow miraculously bails me out with ease.


January 20th, 2004

"You are late again" Priya said showing her watch.
"OK.. OK …I am only ten minutes late" I said.
"Ten minutes!!! I am already late for the party..."
"Don't worry, I just called Swetha and she said the party did not start yet"
"Just shut up... and now start the bike" she said sitting on the bike.

She is always like that, always hurrying, fighting, shouting at people, but at the same time she is very caring, sweet and beautiful. She has a great passion for books. You always find her reading books. She is very fond of English literature and comics. She is very sensitive and emotional. She cries watching typical tragedy Hindi movies and at the same time she is best in consoling people when they are sad. I am really proud to have her as a friend and she is my best friend.

February 27th, 2004

"On Sunday we are planning to play Cricket at Juhu beach" said Rahul in the bus.
I was traveling to Mumbai on Friday evening.
"Are you coming?" Rahul asked.
"No yaar... I have some work at home. I cannot come" I said.
"Come on yaar... what work do you have on the weekend and that too on a Sunday? It'll be fun. You must come" he insisted.
"I am sorry. I promise I will come next time but leave me this time" I said.
"OK." he said and turned to plan for the match with others.
The bus just got on to the Express Highway. There’s still lot of time to reach my home. Priya was reading a book. I prepared myself to take a nap. I pushed the seat back. I don't know how long I slept but suddenly I woke up with Priya hitting me on my head.

"Get up… Get up…Sleepy head" I woke up with Priya is hitting me on my head and shouting at me.
"Stop it" I said opening my eyes. “It hurts. Why you always slap me like that?" I asked rubbing my shoulder.
"To keep you awake" she said laughing.
I looked out of the window. Its dark outside and the bus is moving at a rapid pace on the express highway.
"Where are we right now?" I asked her.
"Just passed Lonavala.." she said.
"The bus is still in Lonavala!!! And you woke me from a good sleep. You know what a great dream I just had... Just three more balls and I would have won India the world cup. You spoiled all the fun...”
"Don’t start all over again. You and your stupid dreams." she said hitting me again. "By the way what are the plans for the weekend?"
"Nothing as such" I said looking out of the window. The weather is chilling outside.
"Are you listening to me or not?" she said shouting in my ear.
"What? Tell me, am listening" I said turning towards her.
"Do you have any plans for the weekend?" she asked
"I told you, I don't have any plans. Why?” I asked.
"Nothing" She said "I will call you over the weekend if I feel bored in the house"
She returned to her reading as usual. After three hours we reached Mumbai.

February 29th, 2004

"A girl named Priya called twice for you" Mom said.
I just came from a shop nearby to bring some household items.
"Who is she?" My mother asked.
"She is a friend of mine" I said.
"Oh… Girl Friend! Hmmm" Mom said winking at me.
"Don't start it again Mom. She is just a friend" I said.
From the day I got a job in Infosys my Mom started bugging me for my marriage. She wants a daughter in law. She wants to see me living happily with a wife and two kids just like the one in a typical Hindi serial. The phone rang and I know that this call is from Priya.

"Hi Aaryan ... this is Priya. What are you doing?"
"Nothing" I said.
"Where did you go when I called you?"
"Just went to a shop nearby. Mom told me that you called twice. What happened?"
"There is a big exhibition at Juhu this weekend. Come on let's go"
"What? Now?"
"Yes. Be ready, I will be waiting for you at Andheri station"
"But...” I tried to argue.
"Aha!Nothing doing. You are coming and I will wait for you." She said and the phone went off.
"This girl never leaves me an option" I thought.

Is it only with Priya or is it with all the girls? They never leave any options. If a girl insists, you have to accept it. Otherwise you are dead. If you give a little freedom, these girls conquer you completely. They make you obey them. With due respect to female community, this is just my opinion. May be I am wrong. But with Priya I am not wrong. She is always like that. If she plans something, she never gives you any other option. You have to follow her plan. Now, please excuse me I need to get ready and start for Andheri railway station. She will kill me even if am a minute late.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment