The Edge Of Reason

You Can Never Tell Which Way The Train Went By Looking At The Rails





Chapter ten

Chapter Ten

United States of America - a country which considers itself as a big brother to all other countries, a country which has become the destination of almost every software engineer, a country which is full of opportunities, a country which is poor in heritage but rich in money, a country where you can find a mix of each and every country in the world. Of course everyone knows what USA is. It needs no introduction. People come here with dollar dreams in their eyes. But, what about me?

"How is USA?" Priya asked me when I called her.
"I don't know" I said. "It’s very cold here. So, I did not get an opportunity to go and look around"
"How is your work?"
"Work is good though it’s not much different from what I do offshore" I said.

I called Priya daily. I missed her very much. Without Priya I feel handicapped,as if one of my critical organs is missing. I was not myself when I entered USA. I left me with Priya. Now it’s only me. Just me. The only hope I have is that one day she will come here and we can relive those golden moments together.

"How is your love story going?" my roomie Avinash asked one day.
"How do you know about it?" I asked.
"I heard it. Rahul is a good friend of mine." he said.
"I am gonna kill this person next time when I see him" I said.
"Too late my friend. The whole Pune DC knows about your story" Avinash said laughing.
"Its nothing like that" I said. "We are just good friends"
"Don't try to fool me. The way you talk with Priya, the time you spend thinking of her... I can easily say that you are in love with her. You miss Priya very much. Am I correct?"
"Yeah. I miss her very much" I said.
"Does she know that you love her?"
"No and please don't start all over again asking me to propose to her. It’s a long story" I said.

After I came to USA I thought of proposing to her once or twice. But the idea never took shape. Meanwhile, I learned how to play guitar. Priya likes music very much. When I meet her, I want to surprise her by playing her favorite tunes on the guitar. I became punctual. In Pune, she was always after me teaching me what to do and what not to do. I just want to become an ideal person which she always wanted me to become.

May 17th, 2005

Four months passed by. One day I asked my Project Manager whether I can get a leave for one month so that I can go to India.
"What?" my Project Manager Praveen asked.
"I need a leave for one month" I asked.
"But why?" he asked. "Is everything fine back at home?" he asked.
"Everyone is fine" I said.
"It has been only six months since you came here. Why do you want to go to India?" he asked.
"It’s something personal" I said. "Please, I need a leave for one month"
"I am sorry" he said. "I cannot send you back in the middle of a project unless there is a proper reason" he said.
I did not speak. I cannot reveal the reason to him.
"If you go back now, you will have to go back permanently. I cannot grant you leave but I can send you back to offshore" he said.
"No problem" I said. "That's even better for me"
It’s better to stay in India with Priya rather than staying here onsite without her.
"I need some time. I need to identify resources to replace your position in the project" he said.
"Thanks Praveen. Thank you very much" I said.

I went back to home full of happiness. I never thought that my project manager would approve this so easily. I went to him with a little hope of getting one month leave. But got more than what I wished for. I will be going back to India. I will be meeting Priya. Yes... I will be meeting Priya. That day I had a sound sleep for the first time since I came onsite.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment