The Edge Of Reason

You Can Never Tell Which Way The Train Went By Looking At The Rails





Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine
January 25th, 2005

I decided to propose Priya on Valentines Day. But everything does not happen as you like. Today my PM called me and told that I need to fly to USA for my project before this weekend. I need to report in USA on Monday, January 31st. I have waited for this onsite opportunity from the day I joined Infosys. But as the onsite opportunity stands before me I don’t feel like leaving Priya and going onsite.

"Congrats. This calls for a party" Priya said when I told her about the onsite.
"Sure" I said. I was with mixed feelings. But the sadness of leaving Priya has overtaken the joy of going onsite.
"So, for how many months are you going?" She asked.
"I don't know. It’s a long term assignment. I am going to Hyderabad tomorrow. My parents are waiting for me. There is lot of shopping left" I said.
"We will not be meeting after today" she said sadly.
"The flight is on Saturday night. It goes through Mumbai. The time between the connecting flights is four hours. You can come to airport if you want" I said.
"I will definitely come to the airport. You will not leave from India without my farewell" she said.

I left to Hyderabad the next day. I was busy with all the shopping those three days in Hyderabad. It’s winter time in the US. So, most of my shopping list included the items required to save myself from the cold out there in USA. My mom packed all the Indian food items that would last for at least two months. My accommodation was courtesy my friends abroad. My parents were very excited about me going onsite. They felt very happy for me. But I was not happy. I was not at all excited.

"What happened?" Mom asked me. "Why are you so dull?"
"Nothing" I said. I did not tell anyone about Priya. I don't know what Priya thinks of me. There is no point in telling my parents about her without knowing what's on Priya's mind.

January 29th, 2005

At last the day of my journey came. I left Hyderabad after a very sentimental farewell from parents and relatives. Flight reached Mumbai at 6:40 PM. The connecting flight to Amsterdam is at 12:50 AM. From Amsterdam, there is another connecting flight to Detroit. I completed the formalities and rushed towards visitors lounge. I searched for Priya. I did not see her. I waited. I waited for TEN minutes. But those ten minutes seemed like ten hours.

"Hi...” I heard Priya after those painful ten minutes.
"Why are you late?" I shouted at her.
"Why are you shouting? If I had shouted every time you came late, I would have lost my voice by now" She said with a bit of anger in her voice.
"I am sorry. I came here and did not find you. I became so sad and I thought I will leave without meeting you" I said.
"I already told you that you will not leave India without meeting me" She said smiling.
"By the way… Why are you late?" I asked.
"Traffic jam. You know this Mumbai traffic… But now you are going onsite. You will get rid of all this." She said.

I am leaving. I am leaving Priya. I am leaving those golden days when we spent together. I am leaving those times, the petty fights and apologizing the next minute, the days I always came late, the days when we used to travel to Mumbai together, the days of happiness, the days when we were the only two in our world. I am leaving my most valuable gift.

"What happened? What are you thinking?" Priya asked.
"Nothing…" I said. My eyes were filled with tears.
"Hey, you are crying" She said.
I could not speak. She took my hand in her hand.
"Don't worry. Everything will be alright" She said and gave her handkerchief.
"I am sorry. I became a bit emotional" I said. "By the way when is your VISA getting processed?"
"It’s in the process. I may get it in a month or two" she said.
"So, Does Wipro have any clients near New York?" I asked. I am going to Hartford. It’s nearly hundred miles away from New York City.
"Yeah... But my client is in Dallas" She said. "Dallas is very far from your place"

I did not care. I wanted her to be in USA very soon. Those four hours flew like four minutes.
"Now its time for me to leave" I said. I heard the announcement to appear for security check for passengers traveling to Amsterdam by Northwest Airlines.
"All the Best. I will miss you" she said holding my hand. Tears were rolling down her cheeks. She was crying.

I took her hand in my hand, gave her a tight hug and left the place. I did not turn back. Had I turned back, I knew that I would not have been able to board the plane. That's my last meeting with Priya.

"Bye... Priya. Bye... India"
"Welcome to United States of America"
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment