The Edge Of Reason

You Can Never Tell Which Way The Train Went By Looking At The Rails





Chapter Six

Chapter Six
March 1st, 2004

After a great Sunday, Monday is always a disaster. Today we found a defect in our code and we were asked to fix it immediately. I had to stay till 11:00 PM in the night to complete it. I returned back to room at 12:00 Midnight. My room mate Vinod was waiting for me.

"What happened?" Vinod asked. "Why are you so late?"
"Don't ask. Today we had to deliver a critical fix and it took so long"
"By the way Rahul is very angry with you"
"Why? Oh… What can I do? Priya forced me to Juhu beach. Otherwise I had no intention of moving out of my home"
"I don't know. He was spreading rumors"
"Rumors?? What rumors?"
"Rumors about you and Priya"
"Priya is just my friend. What is wrong in this? Why is he after me?"
"I don't know. Now you are trapped. People will start linking you up with that girl" he said laughing. "And I am not going to leave this opportunity. Now I got you"
"Come on. Stop it buddy" I said beating him with the towel in my hand.

It did not stop with Vinod. The word spread across our friends that I have a Girl Friend. My friends started teasing. Some of them went as far as saying that we were engaged.

"You did not tell me that you got engaged" My PM asked me one day.
"Nothing like that. People are just teasing me" I said.
"Why don't you bring her to the project party next week?" he asked.

I did not have any answer. People started asking parties for my engagement. Whenever I received a phone call, they started looking at me as if I got a phone call from my fiancée. Thank god Priya is not in Infosys. If she is in Infosys, she would have known about this and I would have been in an embarrassing situation.

"I will ask you one question. Answer me seriously" Vinod asked one day.
"What?"
"Do you love Priya?" he asked.
"Oh..No.. Not again. Stop it" I said showing some irritation in my voice.
"I am not teasing you. I am asking you seriously" he said.
"Why do you ask?" I said.
"Because, I feel that you are in love with Priya. Now a days you talk more about Priya and less about yourself. I am your room mate. I am your friend. You cannot hide anything from your friend" he said.
I fell silent for a minute.
"Come on, tell me. Are you in love with her?" Vinod asked.
"I don't know" I said.
"I got the answer" he said. "You are in love with her"
"How do you conclude that? I did not say that I am in love with her"
"You did not say 'No'. You said you don't know. Love always starts with a dilemma. Now you are in a situation that you don't know whether you are in Love or not. Think of it. Listen to your heart. Spend sometime alone. Come out of the dilemma. You will definitely find an answer" he said.
I did not speak a word. I did not understand what to say.
"By the way, you two make a good pair" Vinod said leaving.

I don't know whether Vinod started this conversation seriously or to tease me but I started thinking of what Vinod said. Am I in Love?

Priya means 'one who is liked by everyone'. In one word it means 'Beloved'. What does she mean to me? I always thought that Love stories exist only in movies. They never exist in real world. But what is this called? Is this Love? I don't know. I can say that I like her very much. But there is a difference between liking and loving. You can like many people but you can love only one. I have been involved in relationships before, but none like this. I never ever loved any girl, I know that. All the girls I met before were just my prom partners or college mates in brief either or both of us needed company that was it,never anything serious. Do I like any other person as much as I like Priya? No. She shouts at me when I am late. She beats me when I am lazy. She corrects me when I am wrong. She consoles me when I am in depression. She encourages me when I try something. She admires me when I achieve anything. She means the world to me. She’s a dream. No one in the world ever has come so close to me or my heart. I can't imagine myself without her. I want to share my life with her, actually I don’t, I feel at times that I don’t deserve her, she is not just pretty, she is beautiful. Never ever was there any person in my life whom I appreciate more than I admire Priya, still I don’t want to lose her, can’t afford to rather. Is this called Love? I don’t know. But if this is called Love, then yes... I am in Love with her.

I AM IN LOVE WITH PRIYA

Now What am I supposed to do?
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment