The Edge Of Reason

You Can Never Tell Which Way The Train Went By Looking At The Rails





Chapter three

Chapter Three
Aug 29th, 2003

It was Friday. I was going to Mumbai that evening. I was reading 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix', the latest book of Harry Potter series at that time. Harry Potter books take you into a new world of imagination and you never get tired of reading those books again and again. Some movie was playing in the bus. I was completely involved in the book.

"Hello Aaryan" I heard some one calling me. It was Rahul. He is a friend of Vinod. They work in the same project.
"Hey Rahul, How are you?"
"Not bad. How is your work in the project going on?"
"Hmmm. Fortunately or unfortunately I am not still allocated to any project. I am still on bench" I said.
"Are you still on Bench? You are lucky man"
"I don’t know. Everyone says that I am lucky. But I don’t feel so. I want some project”, I said.
"Why are you taking load about the project? Enjoy the bench. This chance will never come again" he said.
"I don’t know. May be you are right. Anyways I am enjoying the bench. See, I completed four books of Harry Potter and am reading the fifth one" I said showing him the book I was holding.
"Great dude! Anyway What are the plans for the weekend?"
"Nothing... Day after tomorrow it’s Ganesh Chaturthi and I need to make preparations for it" I said getting back to my reading.

Harry Potter just formed a group called DA. The story is getting more and more interesting. After some time, the bus stopped near a hotel. I got down to get something to eat. There are three or four buses at the hotel and the hotel was filled with passengers. I bought samosa and a Pepsi for myself. I found a corner seat and sat down to eat.

"Hi... How are you?" I heard a familiar voice. I looked up.
"Did you recognize me?" She asked.
"Yeah... You are the girl that I met at the theatre"
"Yes. You are Aaryan. Right?"
"Yeah. But I am sorry. I forgot your name. I am really poor at remembering names"
"It’s OK. I am Priya"
"Oh. I remember now. So, how are you?" I said smiling at her.
"I am doing well. I tried to call you after that day. But I was not able to reach you"
"You tried to call me? But why and how did you get my number?"
"I owe you a hundred bucks for the movie. We both forgot about it after the movie. So, I was trying to reach you to give you back the money"
"I completely forgot about that money. But, where did you get my number?"
"Do you remember I made an SMS from your mobile to my friend? I got the number from there. So, what happened to your mobile? Whenever I tried to call you, it always gave a message that your mobile was switched off."
"Actually, I had a small problem with my mobile. I dropped it in the water accidentally. I had to give it for repair. Now its fine"
"Anyways, here is the money I owe you. Thanks for the movie that day." She said giving me the money.
“You are welcome” I said
"By the way where do you live in Mumbai?" she asked.
"Andheri West near Lokhandwala" I said.
"I live in Borivali" she said.
“That’s too far” I said.
“Yes. It takes lot of time to reach there” She said. "By the way what is the book you are reading?" She asked.
"This is the fifth part of Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" I said showing her the cover of the book.
"I read the first part of Harry Potter. I really liked it and I am looking for the other parts. Do you have them?"
"Yes. I have them in my room in Pune. I can give them to you on Monday. Just call me on Monday"
"Thanks a lot" she said.
One of the buses gave a honk indicating its departure.
"My bus is about to leave. I am leaving. See you on Monday. By the way Happy Ganesh Chaturthi" She said leaving.
"Same to you!" I said.

That was our second meeting. Thanks to Harry Potter, our meetings continued. She called me on Monday for the books. Our friendship grew slowly and she became my best friend. We travel to Mumbai and back to Pune together every weekend. One more great change in my boring life is that after three months I was allocated to a project. I gave a big party to my friends that day.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment